- 3 jars (15 ounces each) Aunt Nellie's Holland-Style Onions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups sliced leeks, white and green parts, (1/4-inch thick slices)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1 box (32 ounces) reduced-sodium beef stock
- French baguette, cut into 6 (1/2-inch thick) slices
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
Makes 6 (approx. 1 cup) servings.
- Drain onions; set aside. Discard liquid.
- Heat Dutch oven or large pot to medium-high heat. Add butter. When butter has melted, add leeks. Cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. (Reduce heat to medium if leeks are browning too quickly.)
- Add onions, garlic, flour and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is well combined and leeks are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add sherry, salt, pepper, thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add beef stock. Bring to boil. Reudce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange baguette slices on baking sheet in single layer. Toast until golden brown.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from soup. Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls. Top with toasted baguette and shredded Parmesan cheese, about 1/2 tablespoon per bowl. Broil until melted and edges are golden brown. (See note)
Note: If oven-safe bowls are not available, arrange baguette slices on baking sheet as directed in Step 5. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese and broil until golden brown. Top each bowl of soup with baguette slice.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 330 calories; 8g protein; 45g carbohydrate; 9g fat; 1200mg sodium; 20mg cholesterol; 3g dietary fiber; 3.62mg iron; 0.33mg thiamin; 1190.44IU vitamin A; 3.81mg vitamin C.