PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
Recipe courtesy of Katie Workman-The Mom 100
Beet Berry Smoothie Bowls
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1-1/4 cups plain whole milk Greek yogurt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons honey (plus more for drizzling)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup granola or muesli
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen or fresh berries
- 1/4 cup lightly crushed nuts of your choice
Makes 4 servings.
- Drain beets; discard liquid or save for another use.
- In zipper top bag, place 1/4 cup of the yogurt, plus the lemon juice and zest. Seal the bag and press lightly to blend all ingredients. Set aside.
- In blender combine the remaining 1 cup yogurt with the beets, 3 cups frozen berries and honey. Pulse until well mixed, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Then process until smooth. Scrap down sides and process again. Pour or scoop into four bowls (the mixture will be thick).
- Top as desired with the chia seeds, granola or muesli, cacao nibs, additional berries, and/or nuts. Snip a tiny corner off of the zipper top bag, and drizzle yogurt over smoothie bowls, along with a bit of additional honey, as desired. Serve immediately.
If necessary, puree ingredients in batches to prevent overflow of blender.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 240 calories; 5g protein; 39g carbohydrate; 7g fat; 130mg sodium; 20mg cholesterol; 3g fiber; 1.60mg iron; 0mg thiamin; 540.22IU vitamin A; 47.29mg vitamin C.