Warm White Bean, Leek & Beet Salad
- 3 ½ teaspoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of dried tarragon
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ baguette, sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) jar Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets, drained
Makes 4 servings.
- Preheat grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Bring a skillet of water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add ½ teaspoon of vinegar. Carefully crack 1 egg at a time into a small dish, then slide them into the simmering water while making sure they are spaced evenly. Let simmer gently until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil, the remaining 3 teaspoons vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and tarragon in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often until the leeks are softened and starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beans and cook until heated though, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and drizzle on 2 tablespoons dressing.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Reduce heat to low. Add beets to pan; cook 2 minutes or until warmed through.
- Brush the remaining tablespoon oil over the baguette slices, and grill until just toasted and browned in spots, about 2 minutes per side.
- Arrange the white beans and beets in four large shallow bowls. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, dividing evenly. Top each with a poached egg and serve with baguette slices on the side.
A cousin to the onion, this delicious spring vegetable harbors lots of dirt and grit between its layers. Be sure to wash and dry your leeks thoroughly before using. Simply place the sliced leeks in a bowl of cold water. Swish the leeks around, separating the layers. The leeks should stay afloat while the dirt sinks to the bottom.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 390 calories; 3g protein; 29g carbohydrate; 29g fat; 100mg sodium; 110mg cholesterol; less than 1g fiber; 0.05mg iron; 0.02mg thiamin; 1116.20IU vitamin A; 0.48mg vitamin C.