Beet and Roasted Carrot Salad with Kale, Spicy Pecans and Goat Cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds tri-color carrots, peeled and cut into 3 to 4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets, drained
- 2 cups baby kale or chopped kale
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Makes 6 servings.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- Make the dressing: In small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, coriander, garlic powder and salt.
- On lined baking sheet, toss the carrots with half of the dressing. Reserve the other half. Roast carrots until tender and caramelizing, 35 to 40 minutes.
- While carrots cook, in small nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, combine pecans, remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until maple syrup has reduced and has coated the pecans. Remove from heat; set aside.
- When carrots are done, arrange on a platter with the beets and kale. Drizzle with remaining dressing and top with candied pecans and crumbled goat cheese.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 320 calories; 6g protein; 32g carbohydrate; 20g fat; 540mg sodium; 10mg cholesterol; 6g dietary fiber; 1mg iron; 0mg thiamin; 1280mcg vitamin A; 31mg vitamin C.