Red Cabbage Kielbasa & White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup vegetable juice
- 1 can (14.5 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) Aunt Nellie’s Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage, undrained
- 1/2 to 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed (See note)
Makes 10 (approx. 1-1/2 cup) servings.
- In Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add carrots, celery and garlic. Continue cooking about 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and soft, stirring frequently. Stir in paprika, curry powder and pepper.
- Add chicken stock, vegetable juice, diced tomatoes, red cabbage and kielbasa. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Add beans and simmer 10 minutes, or until soup is desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
Other white beans may be substituted for the cannellini beans.
Nutrition information per serving (1/10 of recipe): 280 calories; 10g protein; 39g carbohydrate; 10g fat; 740mg sodium; 15mg cholesterol; 8g fiber; 2.59mg iron; 0.21mg thiamin; 5150.35IU vitamin A; 14.55mg vitamin C.