Spicy Beet Cupcakes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) spice cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Confectioners’ sugar
Makes 20 servings.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 20 standard muffin pan cups with cupcake liners or spray bottoms only with nonstick cooking spray. Drain beets; reserve liquid. In food processor, puree beets until smooth. Add enough water to reserved beet liquid to equal amount of water called for on cake mix package.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, beet puree, beet liquid, eggs and oil on low speed of electric mixer 30 seconds to combine. Beat 2 minutes on medium until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Cupcakes can be frozen, tightly wrapped, up to one month. Dust with sugar after thawing.
Nutrition information per serving (1/20 of recipe): 150 calories; 2g protein; 21g carbohydrate; 6g total fat; 220mg sodium; 25mg cholesterol; 0g fiber; 1mg iron; 0.06mg thiamin; 27IU vitamin A; 0mg vitamin C.