Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken & Beets
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) Aunt Nellie’s Baby Whole Pickled Beets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1.25 to 1.5-pound package)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Makes 4 servings.
1. Preheat oven to 400F. While oven is preheating, place sheet pan in oven.
2. Use 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to rub onto both sides of each chicken thigh.
3. Season both sides of each thigh with salt and pepper, as desired.
4. Drain beets; discard liquid. Place beets in large bowl.
5. Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add balsamic vinegar and sugar; stir to combine. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened (mixture will coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat; set aside.
6. Remove heated sheet pan from oven. Spray with nonstick spray. Place chicken thighs on sheet pan, top side down. Roast 5 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, add sweet potatoes and onion to bowl with beets. In small bowl stir together the paprika, garlic powder, and sea salt. Toss vegetables with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add seasoning mixture to vegetables. Stir to coat completely.
8. Remove chicken from oven and turn so the top side is up. Brush each chicken thigh with balsamic reduction. (If the balsamic reduction has thickened up too much, reheat until desired consistency for brushing.) Add vegetables to pan with chicken.
9. Return pan to oven. Roast 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush chicken again with balsamic reduction. Return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 530 calories; 21g protein; 68g carbohydrate; 17g fat; 640mg sodium; 105mg cholesterol; 3g dietary fiber; 2.05mg iron; 0.15mg thiamin; 509.58mcg vitamin A; 1.82mg vitamin C.