Beet Panna Cotta with Honey
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (slit down middle with sharp knife)
- 1 packet gelatin (about .25 ounces)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Honey (optional)
- Chopped walnuts, (optional)
Makes 6 (approx. 2/3 cup) servings.
- Drain beets; discard liquid. In food processor or blender, puree beets until smooth.
- In heavy bottom saucepan heat, over medium heat, whisk together cream, sugar and beet puree. Add vanilla bean. Continue cooking until heated through and bubbles appear around sides of mixture. Watch carefully; do not scorch. Remove from heat. Discard vanilla bean.
- Meanwhile, add water to small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and allow to bloom. (See note)
- Whisk bloomed gelatin into warm beet mixture until dissolved.
- Equally divide mixture among 6 jars, bowls or other serving dishes. Allow to come to room temperature and then transfer to refrigerator to chill until set, about 2 to 4 hours.
- Garnish with a generous drizzle of honey, or sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.
Bloom means that gelatin and liquid sit for a few minutes until the gelatin swells or “blooms” as it absorbs the liquid. Once it has been absorbed, it is ready to add to the warm beet mixture.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 390 calories; 3g protein; 29g carbohydrate; 29g fat; 100mg sodium; 110mg cholesterol; less than 1g fiber; 0.05mg iron; 0.02mg thiamin; 1116.20IU vitamin A; 0.48mg vitamin C.