Beet Pancakes with Beet-Berry Syrup
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk, divided
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for cooking
Makes 16 pancakes (about 3 per serving).
- Drain beets; reserve beet liquid. Set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Place 1 cup of the beets in food processor. Reserve remaining beets for Beet-Berry Syrup. Add 1/2 cup of the milk. Process until mixture is pureed. Add eggs; pulse one or two times, or until eggs are mixed in.
- Add beet puree, eggs, melted butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk to flour mixture. Stir just until ingredients are combined; some small lumps may remain. (Add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time if batter seems too thick.)
- Heat lightly buttered griddle or large non-stick skillet until hot, about 325°F for griddle or medium-low to medium heat for skillet. Using 1/4 cup measure, pour batter onto griddle or skillet, spreading batter if needed. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning pancakes when edges look slightly dry. Serve with Beet-Berry Syrup. (Recipe follows)
Nutrition information per serving (1/16 of recipe): 110 calories; 3g protein; 17g carbohydrate; 3g fat; 100mg sodium; 30mg cholesterol; 1g fiber; 0.84mg iron; 0.13mg thiamin; 114.29IU vitamin A; 0.04mg vitamin C.
- Beets reserved from pancakes
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup reserved beet liquid
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
Makes 1 cup (1 to 2 tablespoons per serving).
- For Beet-Berry Syrup, either by hand or in food processor, chop remaining beets into small pieces.
- In medium saucepan, combine chopped beets, frozen berries, syrup, beet liquid, lemon juice and salt. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes or until thickened as desired. Cool slightly before serving, Syrup can be made ahead and reheated.
Nutrition information per serving (1/16 of recipe): 20 calories; less than 1g protein; 6g carbohydrate; 0g fat; 15mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 0g fiber; 0.19mg iron; 0mg thiamin; 18.70IU vitamin A; 5.35mg vitamin C.