PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 27 MINUTES
Recipe Courtesy of: Kristina Vanni
Tuscan 3-Bean Peasant Soup
- 10 ounces day-old crusty bread, such as ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium shallots or one small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup small pasta, such as ditalini, uncooked
- 2 cups frozen cut leaf spinach or 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 jars (15.5 ounces each) Aunt Nellie’s 3 Bean Salad, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, optional.
Makes 8 servings.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bread cubes in single layer on large baking pan. Bake until bread cubes are lightly browned, about 8 to12 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Add shallots; cook 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Add cannellini beans, tomatoes, broth and black pepper. Bring to boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or as package directs. Stir in spinach and bean salad. Simmer 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Ladle soup evenly into bowls. Top with toasted bread cubes and lemon zest, if desired. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 310 calories; 12g protein; 54g carbohydrate; 5g fat; 620mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 10g fiber; 4.49mg iron; 0.33mg thiamin; 4968.13IU vitamin A; 10.74mg vitamin C.