Tomato & Beet Stacks With Herb Vinaigrette
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/3 pound baby green beans, steamed
- 2 medium yellow tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white wine or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mixed fresh herbs
- (such as parsley, basil, oregano, chives and/or thyme)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
Makes 4 servings.
- Remove half of beets from jar; drain well. (Reserve remaining beets for Bonus Beet & Walnut Salad below.)
- Divide salad greens and green beans evenly among 4 individual salad plates. Layer tomato and beet slices in a tumbled “stack” on each plate.
- To make Herb Vinaigrette, whisk together oil, vinegar, herbs and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle salad with about half of vinaigrette (reserve remaining for Bonus Beet & Walnut Salad below.) Sprinkle salads with cheese, if desired and serve.
Bonus Beet & Walnut Salad
Drain reserved sliced pickled beets. Arrange beets over mixed greens. Sprinkle with coarsely chopped toasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese. Drizzle with remaining Herb Vinaigrette.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 140 calories; 2g protein; 13g carbohydrate; 9g fat; 80mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 3g fiber; 1mg iron; 1266IU vitamin A; mg vitamin C.