Pickled Beet and Lentil Salad with Tahini Lemon Dressing
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- Salt to taste
Makes 6 servings.
- Drain beets well. Discard liquid or save for another use. Dice beets; set aside.
- In small bowl combine tahini with lemon juice and garlic. If the consistency is too thick, add a tablespoon of water at a time to thin it out.
- Combine the lentils, tomatoes and cucumbers with the dressing. Add salt, as desired.
- Gently fold diced beets into lentil mixture.
Beets will color the salad red if mixed too much.
Tip: To make salad ahead to serve later, keep the dressing, beets and other ingredients separated until time to serve and then combine gently.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 300 calories; 13g protein; 33g carbohydrate; 13g fat; 270mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 9g fiber; 4.58mg iron; 0.20mg thiamin; 544.94IU vitamin A; 17.01mg vitamin C.