PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
Chilled Pickled Beet Borscht
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole or Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemonade concentrate
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sour cream and chopped cucumber (optional)
Makes 4 servings.
- Drain beets, reserving liquid; chop beets. Combine reserved liquid, water, beets, carrots, if desired, and lemonade concentrate in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes to blend flavors and until carrots are tender. Cool; refrigerate until chilled.
- Stir in buttermilk and dill; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Keep chilled until ready to serve. Can be made up to 1 day ahead of time. To serve, shake or stir to mix; pour into serving bowls and top with sour cream and chopped cucumber as desired.
Use one jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets in place of pickled beets; increase lemonade concentrate to 1/2 cup.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 110 calories; 2g protein; 21g carbohydrate; less than 1g fat; 270mg sodium; less than 5mg cholesterol; 0g fiber; less than 1mg iron; less than 1mg thiamin; 38IU vitamin A; 2mg vitamin C.