PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES
Whole Onion & Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Holland-Style Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers or sweet piquanté peppers
- Chopped fresh herbs (such as basil, thyme, oregano, chives)
Makes 4 (approx. 1/2-cup) servings.
- Drain onions; discard liquid.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat until hot. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add onions and wine; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in tomatoes and peppers; heat through. Stir in herbs, as desired.
Toss sauce with cooked pasta or serve over grilled or sautéed chicken breast, or fish such as cod, tilapia or halibut.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 100 calories; less than 1g protein; 9g carbohydrate; 4g fat; 260mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 1g fiber; 0.62mg iron; 1539.78IU vitamin A; 11.10mg vitamin C.