Fresh ‘n Fruity Summer Salad
- 1 package (6 ounces) ready-to-eat baby spinach or other greens, about 6 cups
- 2-1/2 cups bite-size pieces honeydew melon or cantaloupe
- 2 peaches or nectarines, pitted and cut into wedges
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Sliced Pickled Beets, not drained
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil or
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
Makes 8 servings.
- For dressing, drain beets, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Set beets aside. In small bowl, combine reserved beet liquid, orange juice, basil and pepper. With wire whisk or fork, whisk in oil. Set aside.
- For salad, arrange spinach, reserved beets, melon, peaches and berries on large platter.
- To serve, drizzle with dressing; toss lightly. Sprinkle with almonds.
For a main dish salad, add cooked shrimp or grilled chicken breast.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 220 calories; 2g protein; 19g carbohydrate; 16g fat; 130mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 2g fiber; 1mg iron; 0.04mg thiamin; 2157IU vitamin A; 22mg vitamin C.