Beet Lentil Chili
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery. diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprkia
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 pound lentils
For garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup matchstick cut radishes
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
Makes 8 servings.
- Drain beets; dice. Set aside. Reserve liquid for another use or discard.
- Preheat large soup pot. Drizzle with olive oil. Add onion, celery, carrots and salt. Sauté until softened. Add garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder and tomato paste. Sauté until very fragrant. Add stock, water, beets and lentils. Bring to boil; reduce to simmer. Simmer about 2 hours, or until lentils are very tender.
- Serve lentil chili with sour cream, radishes, cilantro, onions and queso fresco, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 320 calories; 19g protein; 52g carbohydrate; 5g fat; 685mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 10g fiber; 6.76mg iron; 0.56mg thiamin; 5705.65IU vitamin A; 11.2mg vitamin C.