PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
Beet, Feta & Walnut Scones
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk (2% or skim)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (not fat-free)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 8 rosemary sprigs
Makes 8 scones (1 scone per serving).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain beets well. Chop coarsely and set aside on paper towels to absorb any remaining liquid.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in large bowl.
- Combine milk, oil and egg in small bowl; whisk to combine completely. Stir in onion, rosemary and garlic. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Stir to combine. Gently stir in feta and walnuts just until combined, then add beets and stir gently to combine.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough about 3 to 4 times to smooth. Pat into 9-inch round on ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 8 triangles; do not separate. Lightly press rosemary sprigs into each scone.
- Bake 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet set on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 310 calories; 7g protein; 32g carbohydrate; 17g fat; 470mg sodium; 35mg cholesterol; 2g fiber; 2mg iron; 0.28mg thiamin; 164IU vitamin A; 1mg vitamin C.