Rustic Vegetable-Beet Soup
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Whole Pickled Beets, well drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini (about 5 ounces each), coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons each finely chopped fresh parsley and dill
- Gremolata (recipe below), optional
Makes 6 servings.
- Coarsely chop beets; set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; sauté about 5 minutes or until softened. Add carrots, sweet potato and garlic. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini, broth and seasoned salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chickpeas; heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Stir in parsley and dill. Stir in beets. Serve immediately topped with gremolata, if desired.
1. Combine all ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon each: minced fresh parsley and dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 220 calories; 6 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 6 g total fat; 620 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g dietary fiber; 2 mg iron; 0.13 mg thiamin; 6981 IU vitamin A; 8 mg vitamin C.