Whole Onion & Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Holland-Style Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers or sweet piquanté peppers
- Chopped fresh herbs (such as basil, thyme, oregano, chives)
Makes 4 (approx. 1/2-cup) servings.
- Drain onions; discard liquid.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat until hot. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add onions and wine; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in tomatoes and peppers; heat through. Stir in herbs, as desired.
Serving suggestion: Toss sauce with cooked pasta or serve over grilled or sautéed chicken breast, or fish such as cod, tilapia or halibut.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 100 calories; less than 1g protein; 9g carbohydrate; 4g fat; 260mg sodium; 0mg cholesterol; 1g fiber; 0.62mg iron; 1539.78IU vitamin A; 11.10mg vitamin C.