Red Cabbage & Bacon Pasta
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup red or yellow onion wedges (1/2-inch thick wedges)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage, not drained
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 cups cooked linguine
- Chopped parsley, optional
Makes 4 servings.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon from skillet. Crumble and reserve.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add chicken pieces; cook about 5 to 7 minutes until browned and cooked through, turning occasionally. (Reduce heat if browning too quickly.) Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Add red cabbage and mustard to skillet; stir to combine. Cook 2 minutes to heat through, stirring frequently.
- Arrange pasta on 4 plates. Top with chicken pieces and red cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumbled bacon and parsley.
Notes: For a vegetarian option, omit bacon and chicken. Use 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil for sautéing. For a side dish option, omit chicken.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): 442 calories; 28 g protein; 66 g carbohydrate; 9 g fat; 1114 mg sodium; 58 mg cholesterol; 3 g dietary fiber; 5 mg iron; 0.46 mg thiamin; 17 IU vitamin A; 20 mg vitamin C.