Three Layer Beet Cupcakes
- 1 jar (15.5 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Harvard Beets
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
Makes 18 servings.
- For cupcakes, preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray bottoms and sides of 18 muffin pan cups (1/2-cup capacity) with no-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place beets and liquid in blender jar or food processor work bowl. Blend or process until smooth. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Add vanilla. Continue beating until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients alternately with pureed beets, beginning and ending with dry ingredients; beat well after each addition.
- Fill prepared muffin pan cups about three-fourths full. Bake 24 to 28 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes 3 minutes in pans. Run narrow metal spatula around edges of each cup to loosen. Remove cupcakes to rack and cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Add vanilla and pumpkin pie spice; beat until light and fluffy.
- Slice each cooled cupcake in half horizontally with serrated knife. Spread frosting generously on bottom halves of each cupcake. Place top halves of cupcakes on frosting, cut sides down. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes at room temperature before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving (1/18 of recipe): 300 calories; 3g protein; 44g carbohydrate; 13g fat; 360mg sodium; 55mg cholesterol; 1g fiber; 1mg iron; 0.13mg thiamin; 436IU vitamin A; 1mg vitamin C.