Savory Beet and Goat Cheese Tart
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, very thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets, well drained (See Note)
- 1 package (8 ounces) herb and garlic-flavored goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Grated or shredded lemon peel (optional)
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened and golden brown about 15 minutes, reducing heat if necessary. Remove from heat.
- Unroll crust and place on ungreased baking sheet. Spread onions evenly over crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Arrange beets over onions and dot with goat cheese. Sprinkle with thyme.
- Fold pastry edge over beets crimping edges, leaving center uncovered. Bake until crust is golden, about 20 minutes.
- To serve, slice into wedges and garnish with thyme and lemon peel, if desired.
Notes: Substitute 1 teaspoon dried thyme for fresh, if desired. To use drained beet juice: Reserve 1/2 cup drained beet juice and combine with 1 clove minced garlic, 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard and 2 teaspoons honey in blender container. Blend on high 10 seconds. Pour 1/3 cup olive oil into mixture with machine running and blend well. Serve as salad dressing.
Nutrition information per serving (1/10 of recipe): 210 calories; 6g protein; 14g carbohydrate; 14g fat; 290mg sodium; 20mg cholesterol; less than 1g fiber; 1mg iron; less than 1mg thiamin; 355IU vitamin A; 2mg vitamin C.