Pickled Beet & Shrimp Salad
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets, well drained
- 2 cups thin strips* jicama
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded Serrano chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 pound fully cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp (31-35 count)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed torn cilantro leaves
Makes 4 servings.
- Cut beets into thin strips. In large serving bowl, combine beets and jicama.
- Place lime juice, red onion, chili pepper, pepper and oil in cleaned beet jar. Tighten lid; shake vigorously until dressing is combined. Pour dressing over beets and jicama; toss well. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to chill.
- About 5 minutes before serving, stir in cooked shrimp and cilantro leaves. Season with salt, as desired.
*Peel jicama before cutting into strips.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): 390 calories; 24 g protein; 30 g carbohydrate; 19 g fat; 552 mg sodium; 221 mg cholesterol; 3 g dietary fiber; 4 mg iron; 0.06 mg thiamin; 463 IU vitamin A; 22 mg vitamin C.