Orzo & Onion Skillet
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Holland-Style Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium, fat free chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup frozen petite green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or thinly sliced green onions (green part only)
- Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Additional chives or green onions (optional)
Makes 4 servings.
- Drain onions; reserve liquid.
- In large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-low heat until hot. Add garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes to soften, stirring frequently (do not brown).
- Add broth and 1/2 cup onion liquid to skillet; bring to boil. Stir in orzo. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered about 12 minutes or until orzo is just al dente, stirring frequently. (Add additional onion liquid 1 tablespoon at a time as needed if mixture seems too dry during cooking.)
- Stir in onions, green peas and chives. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with pepper, Parmesan and chives, if desired.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): 241 calories; 7 g protein; 42 g carbohydrate; 5 g fat; 520 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g dietary fiber; 2.18 mg iron; 0.39 mg thiamin; 435.87 IU vitamin A; 2.40 mg vitamin C.