Herbed Eggplant & Beet Dip
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced or Whole Pickled Beets, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- Coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (Greek or traditional), optional
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
Makes 8 servings (approx. 1/4 cup each)
Coarsely chop beets.
In large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add eggplant, onion and garlic; cook 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if mixture seems too dry or begins to stick. Salt and pepper, as desired.
Place eggplant mixture in bowl of food processor; process until mixture is chopped and combined. Measure out 1/2 cup chopped beets; set aside. Add remaining chopped beets to eggplant mixture. Process until dip is desired consistency.
Transfer dip to serving bowl. Stir in yogurt, if desired. Stir in herbs and reserved 1/2 cup chopped beets just before serving. If not served immediately, cover and refrigerate up to 6 hours. Allow to stand about 15 minutes before serving if chilled.
Note: Serve with pita chips, pita wedges, and/or fresh vegetables for dipping.
Per serving (1/8 of recipe): 80 calories; less than 1 g protein; 11 g carbohydrate; 4 g fat; 50 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g dietary fiber; .31 mg iron; .03 mg thiamin; 158.08 IU vitamin A; 3.72 mg vitamin C.