Classic Creamed Onions
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s® Holland-Style Whole Onions
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Makes 8 servings.
- Drain onions. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute, until bubbly. Stir in half-and-half and sherry; cook and stir 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in cheese, mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add onions; pour into 1-1/2 quart baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with paprika. (See Note). Bake at 350ºF 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered, until bubbly.
Per serving (1/8 of recipe): 170 calories; 3 g protein; 8 g carbohydrate; 14 g total fat; 170 mg sodium; 40 mg cholesterol; less than 1 g dietary fiber; .38 mg iron; 0.05 mg thiamin; 436 IU vitamin A; .6 mg vitamin C.
Note: To make one day ahead, cover and refrigerate. Let stand 1 hour before baking, uncovered, at 350ºF 25 minutes.