PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES
Autumn Beet and Red Cabbage Salad
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Pickled Beets, whole or sliced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage
- 1/3 cup red currant jelly
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup chopped Granny Smith apple (about 1 small apple)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (See Note)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Makes 6 servings (about 3/4 cup each).
- Drain beets and cabbage, combining both liquids into small bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of the combined liquids into a small saucepan; discard remainder. Add red currant jelly and cloves to saucepan; whisk to combine. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until liquid is thickened and reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Just before serving stir in apples and pecans. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cut sliced beets in half, or whole beets into wedges. Toss beets, cabbage and green onions with cooled red currant dressing.
To toast pecans, bake nuts in asingle layer on a rimmed baking sheetin a preheated 350ºF oven until fragrant, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 190 calories; 1g protein; 36 g carbohydrate; 7 g fat; 461mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g dietary fiber; 2 mg iron; >1 mg thiamin; 61 IU Vitamin A; 18 mg Vitamin C.