Un-Beetable Citrus Couscous Medley
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat or plain couscous
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
Makes 6 servings.
- In medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Sauté onions 5 minutes then add couscous and stir 1 minute more. Pour in water and orange juice, bringing to slight boil. Remove from heat, sprinkle raisins over top and cover with lid. Let stand until all liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in large non-stick skillet. Add beets and warm over medium-low heat.
- To serve, fluff couscous into large serving bowl. Gently stir in warmed beets, feta cheese and pine nuts or almonds.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 315 calories; 9g protein; 48g carbohydrate; 11g fat; 210mg sodium; 10mg cholesterol; 3g fiber; 1mg iron; 0.07mg thiamin; 68IU vitamin A; 5.75mg vitamin C.