Turkey, Beet Relish & Hummus Sandwich
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole or Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1 small yellow, red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread or other shape such as ciabatta
- 1 cup prepared hummus with kalamata olives*
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced turkey breast, ham or roast beef
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- To prepare relish, drain beets; reserve 2 tablespoons beet liquid. Coarsely chop beets. Combine beets, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Stir together beet liquid and olive oil. Toss with relish ingredients. Add basil.
- Cut bread lengthwise in half. Hollow out halves, leaving a 1-inch thick shell. Spread hummus inside shell on each half. Arrange spinach leaves over bottom half, pressing into place. Top with cheese, beet relish and turkey. Close sandwich. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Sandwich can be refrigerated up to 24 hours before serving. To serve, cut sandwich into 6 pieces.
*Substitute plain or other flavored hummus, herbed or plain goat cheese, or spreadable herb-garlic cheese.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 580 calories; 32 g protein; 59 g carbohydrate; 22 g total fat; 1050 mg sodium; 60 mg cholesterol; 5 g dietary fiber; 4 mg iron; 0.36 mg thiamin; 1511 IU vitamin A; 5 mg vitamin C.