Spicy Beet, Fruit & Nut Bars
- 1 jar (15.5 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Harvard Beets
- 1 package (15.25 ounces) spice cake mix
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dried mixed fruits, chopped if necessary
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (or a combination), toasted
- Confectioners’ sugar
Makes 28 bars.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain beets. Puree beets in food processor or blender until smooth; set aside. Line 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place cake mix in large bowl. Add pureed beets, brown sugar, oil and egg. Beat on low speed of electric mixer 2 minutes or until completely combined, scraping bowl as necessary. Stir in fruits and nuts.
- Spread dough evenly in prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into bars.
Per bar: 140 calories; 2 g protein; 22 g carbohydrate; 5 g fat; 135 mg sodium; 10 mg cholesterol; less than 1 g dietary fiber; .74 mg iron; .04 mg thiamin; 16.25 IU vitamin A; .11 mg vitamin C.