Spicy Beet Cupcakes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) spice cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Confectioners’ sugar
Makes 20 servings.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 20 standard muffin pan cups with cupcake liners or spray bottoms only with nonstick cooking spray. Drain beets; reserve liquid. In food processor, puree beets until smooth. Add enough water to reserved beet liquid to equal amount of water called for on cake mix package.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, beet puree, beet liquid, eggs and oil on low speed of electric mixer 30 seconds to combine. Beat 2 minutes on medium until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Note: Cupcakes can be frozen, tightly wrapped, up to one month. Dust with sugar after thawing.
Nutrition information per serving (1/20 of recipe): 150 calories; 2g protein; 21g carbohydrate; 6g total fat; 220mg sodium; 25mg cholesterol; 0g fiber; 1mg iron; 0.06mg thiamin; 27IU vitamin A; 0mg vitamin C.