Roasted Portobello Mushrooms with Beets & Goat Cheese
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets
- 4large portobello mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup fresh bread crumbs, such as sourdough or whole wheat (See Note)
- 1/4cup sliced green onions or chopped chives
- 1/4cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
Makes 4 servings.
- Preheat oven to 400oF. Drain beets, reserving liquid. Coarsely chop 1/2 cup beets; set remaining whole beets aside with beet liquid to use in Vegetable Platter with Balsamic-Beet Vinaigrette (recipe follows).
- Trim stems flat and remove gills from mushroom caps using a spoon; discard. Place caps, rounded sides down, on foil-lined baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
- Combine chopped beets, bread crumbs, green onions and walnuts in medium bowl; mix well. Spoon mixture into caps and top with cheese. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through and mushrooms are tender.
Note: To make fresh bread crumbs, place 1 or 2 pieces of sourdough or whole wheat bread in container of food processor. Pulse several times until finely crumbled.
Notes about recipe:
- Make Ahead: Stuff mushroom caps. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours before baking.
- Appetizer Variation: Remove stems from 1 pound baby portobello or crimini mushrooms. Proceed as directed above mounding caps with crumb mixture and topping with cheese. Bake as directed above. Makes about 18 stuffed mushrooms.
- Vegetable Platter with Balsamic-Beet Vinaigrette: Arrange reserved beets on platter with an assortment of steamed fresh vegetables such as baby carrots, green and wax beans, sugar snap peas and small halved new and fingerling potatoes. Combine 1/4 cup reserved beet juice with 3/4 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing. Whisk until well combined. Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): 155 calories; 8.0 g protein;12.0 g carbohydrate; 9.2 g fat; 288 mg sodium; 11 mg cholesterol; 2 g dietary fiber; 1 mg iron; 273 IU Vitamin A; 65 mg calcium.