Red Velvet Muffins
- 1 jar (15-1/2 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Harvard Beets, not drained
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup original toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
Makes 12 muffins.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- In food processor or blender, puree beets and liquid until smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, wheat germ, walnuts, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. In medium bowl, combine puréed beets, egg and oil; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.) Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per muffin: 189 calories; 3.8 g protein; 32 g carbohydrate; 5.7 g fat; 213 mg sodium; 18 mg cholesterol; 2.1 g dietary fiber; 1.4 mg iron; 33 IU Vitamin A; 39 mg calcium.