Picnic-wiches with Greek Artichoke Beet Salad
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1 jar (about 6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata or ripe olives, sliced
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 6 ciabatta or sandwich rolls, sliced horizontally in half
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Makes 6 servings.
- Drain beets and artichoke hearts, reserving 1/4 cup liquid from each. Coarsely chop beets and artichoke hearts. Combine beets, artichokes, olives and green onions in medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together reserved beet and artichoke liquids in small bowl. Pour over beet mixture; toss gently to coat. Season with black pepper, if desired.
- Layer lettuce and turkey on bottom halves of rolls. Top with relish, feta cheese and pine nuts. Top with remaining halves of rolls. Wrap tightly; chill up to 4 hours until ready to serve. Serve with remaining relish.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 350 calories; 30 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 10 g fat; 683 mg sodium; 70 mg cholesterol; 3 g dietary fiber; 3 mg iron; 0.3 mg thiamin; 723 IU vitamin A; 14 mg vitamin C.