Picnic Sandwiches with Beet-Mango Slaw
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1-1/2 cups cabbage slaw mix
- 3/4 cup cubed mango (about 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons prepared vinaigrette
- Baguette or other loaf, plain or multigrain (about 21” x 3”)
- 1 package (4 ounces) creamy goat cheese or other spreadable cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef or turkey
Makes 6 servings.
- Drain beets well; discard liquid or save for another use. Coarsely chop beets; reserve 1/2 cup for Pink Lemonade (see recipe below).
- In large bowl, toss together slaw mix, mango and onion. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat well.
- Cut baguette lengthwise in half. Remove insides leaving 1/2-inch shell on top and bottom. Spread bottom half with goat cheese.
- Toss beets with slaw mixture; spoon half over goat cheese. Arrange beef over slaw; spoon remaining slaw over beef. Close sandwich and press firmly. Wrap tightly with aluminum foil; refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving.
- To serve, cut baguette into 6 pieces.
- 1/2 cup reserved chopped beets
- 1 (12 ounce) can lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 4 cans water
- Lemon slices, for garnish
Makes approx. 2 quarts.
- Place chopped beets in food processor or blender container; process to puree. Add lemonade concentrate; process to combine.
- Pour into pitcher. Add water; stir. Serve over ice with lemon slice garnish.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 400 calories; 24g protein; 57g carbohydrate; 9g fat; 730mg sodium; 40mg cholesterol; 3g fiber; 4mg iron; 0.40mg thiamin; 645IU vitamin A; 13mg vitamin C.