Nutty Orange-Glazed Beets and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets
- 2 cups chopped, peeled raw sweet potato (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup orange juice, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 4 green onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick (including greens)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted
- Black pepper to taste
Makes 6 side-dish servings.
- Drain beets; reserve 2 tablespoons beet liquid. Cut beets into halves; set aside.
- Heat sweet potatoes and 3/4 cup orange juice in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes or just until potatoes are tender. Stir in bell peppers. Remove from heat; stir in green onions. Place mixture in a shallow serving bowl; add beets.
- In same skillet, combine reserved 2 tablespoons beet liquid, remaining 1/4 cup orange juice and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil about 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened and syrupy. Spoon over beet mixture, tossing lightly. Sprinkle with pecans. Season with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 130 calories; 2 g protein; 24 g carbohydrate; 4 g fat; 334 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g dietary fiber;less than 1 mg iron; less than 1 mg thiamin; 6449 IU vitamin A; 129 mg vitamin C.