Moroccan Orange Beet Salad
2006 Aunt Nellie’s “Beet The Clock” Recipe Contest
1st Prize – Everyday Favorites
Karen Tedesco, Webster Groves, MO
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets, drained and quartered
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups mixed baby salad greens
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
Makes 4 servings.
- Place beets and beans in medium bowl. Whisk together orange peel, juice, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper in small bowl; pour over beet mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Arrange greens on 4 individual plates. Spoon beet mixture over greens; sprinkle with cheese and pistachios.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): 341 calories; 11 g protein; 39 g carbohydrate; 16 g fat; 776 mg sodium; 17 mg cholesterol; 8 g dietary fiber; 3 mg iron; less than 1 mg thiamin; 788 IU vitamin A; 15 mg vitamin C.