Mini Beet and Carrot Gift Loaves
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets, drained
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Glaze (recipe follows)
Makes 4 loaves (6 servings per loaf).
- Chop beets into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray 4 mini loaf pans or disposable foil pans (about 5 x 3 inches) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; mix well and set aside. Combine brown sugar and oil in large bowl; mix well. Stir in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture; mix well. Stir in beets, carrots and walnuts just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Combine topping ingredients in small bowl. Stir until crumbly. Divide evenly over batter in pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack; cool completely. (See Note). Prepare Glaze and drizzle over cooled loaves. Store at room temperature up to 3 days. Freeze, unglazed, up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature and drizzle with Glaze before serving
Note: Not necessary to remove loaves from disposable foil pans to cool, if using.
Glaze: Stir together 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons milk in small bowl. Use spoon to drizzle over cooled loaves.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of loaf): 175 calories; 3g protein; 21g carbohydrate; 10g fat; 14 mg sodium; 20mg cholesterol; 1g fiber; 1mg iron; 631IU vitamin A; 26mg calcium.