Italian Cabbage Soup
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced, about 1/2-inch
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried cheese tortellini
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) great Northern (or other white) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, then sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
Makes 6 servings (about 1-1/2 cups each).
- Drain cabbage well (reserving liquid). Set cabbage and liquid aside.
- Heat oil in large (4-1/2 quart) pot. Cook bell pepper, thyme and garlic 3 to 5 minutes, until pepper begins to soften. Add broth, water, tortellini, and beans; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and continue simmering, partially covered, until zucchini and tortellini are just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in cabbage, 2 tablespoons reserved cabbage liquid and tomato; add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 190 calories; 35g carbohydrate; 9g protein; 3g fat; 1100mg sodium; 10mg cholesterol; 5g fiber; 2mg iron; 0.2mg thiamin; 317IU vitamin A; 31mg vitamin C.