Harvard Beet Spice Cake
- 1 jar (15.5 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Harvard Beets, not drained
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Confectioners’ sugar
Makes 12 servings.
- Puree beets in blender or food processor until smooth; set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add dry ingredients alternately with beets to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Fold in walnuts. Turn batter into greased, lightly floured 9-cup fluted tube (Bundt) pan.
- Bake at 350°F 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool on rack for 30 minutes before removing from pan. Sift confectioners’ sugar over top of cooled cake, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving (1/12 of recipe): 340 calories; 6g protein; 46g carbohydrate; 15g fat; 400mg sodium; 55mg cholesterol; 2g fiber; 1.62mg iron; 0.19mg thiamin; 283.26IU vitamin A; 0.32mg vitamin C.