Makes 4 servings (1-2/3 cups each)
1. Rinse lentils and drain. Place in Dutch oven or other large saucepan. Add 2 cups of the broth and 1 cup water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes (lentils should be slightly undercooked).
2. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, remaining 1 cup broth, tomatoes with liquid, carrots with liquid and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until liquid is reduced as desired and vegetables are just tender. Stir in parsley. Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper (one color or assorted)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 jar (15.5 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Glazed Small Sliced Carrots
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
Note: If desired, 1/2 pound chicken sausage links, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces can be added to stew in Step 2 during last five minutes of cooking.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): 280 calories; 14 g protein; 54 g carbohydrate; <1 g fat; 390 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g dietary fiber; 5 mg iron; 0.46 mg thiamin; 5499 IU vitamin A; 36 mg vitamin C.