Beet & Fennel Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 large or 2 small bulbs fennel with leaves attached
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets, drained
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fennel leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Makes 6 servings.
- Cut off stem and leaves of fennel; reserve leaves. Cut bulb in half lengthwise; remove and discard core. Slice bulb crosswise into thin slices (about 2 cups). Chop 1 teaspoon fennel leaves and set aside for dressing. Combine sliced fennel, apple and red onion in a large bowl.
- To make dressing, combine balsamic vinegar and mustard in small bowl; whisk in oil. Add fennel leaves, salt and pepper.
- Divide greens equally among six salad plates. Pour dressing over fennel mixture and toss until well coated. Arrange fennel mixture on greens; top with sliced beets and Parmesan.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 148 calories; 2.75 g protein; 17 g carbohydrate; 8 g fat; 493 mg sodium; 3 mg cholesterol; 2.6 g dietary fiber; 0.7 mg iron; 717 IU Vitamin A; 95 mg calcium.