Beet & Berry Chutney
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 jar (15.5 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Harvard Beets, not drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger, optional
- 1-1/2 cups berries (See Note)
Makes about 10 (1/4-cup) servings.
- Place marmalade in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until melted. Stir in beets and red pepper. Cook, 3 to 5 minutes until liquid is reduced by about half, stirring frequently. Add ginger, if desired.
- If using only cranberries, add to pan with beet mixture and cook until they just begin to pop. If using cranberries plus other berries, add other berries to beet-cranberry mixture; stir and heat through. Remove pan from heat; cool to room temperature before serving. If using only blueberries, raspberries and/or strawberries, add to beet mixture after reducing liquid in Step 1. Stir and heat through. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Note: Use one or a combination of: fresh or frozen unsweetened cranberries, blueberries, raspberries or strawberries (cut in half or quartered if large).
Per serving (1/10 of recipe): 77 calories; 0 g protein; 20 g carbohydrate; 0 g fat; 143 mg sodium. 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g dietary fiber; 0 mg iron; 0 mg thiamin; 20 IU vitamin A; 3 mg vitamin C.