Beet & Bean Salad with Warm Basil-Bacon Dressing
- 1 jar (16 oz.) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1 can (19 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag (10 oz.) Italian blend salad mix
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon or real bacon bits
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Makes 6 servings.
- Drain beets, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- In large bowl, combine beans, salad mix, celery, and onion; mix well.
- In small saucepan, combine reserved beet liquid, pesto, bacon and pepper. Heat through, stirring occasionally, without boiling. Add drained beets to salad mixture. Pour dressing over beets; mix gently but thoroughly. Serve immediately.
Microwave Directions: In medium microwave-safe bowl, combine reserved beet liquid, pesto, bacon and pepper. Heat on HIGH 1 minute, stirring once.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 251 calories; 9 g protein; 30 g carbohydrate; 9 g fat; 504 mg sodium; 5 mg cholesterol; 5 g dietary fiber; 3 mg iron; 0.09 mg thiamin; 1133 IU vitamin A; 11 mg vitamin C.