Bean Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s 3 Bean Salad
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 4 large tomatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Makes 4 servings.
- Drain bean salad, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Combine bean salad, celery, onion and bell pepper in large bowl; set aside.
- To prepare dressing, whisk together reserved liquid, mayonnaise and buttermilk in small bowl until well blended. Stir in chives, parsley and dill; season with black pepper if desired. Set aside.
- Cut and remove 1/4-inch slice from top of tomatoes. Remove seeds and hollow out tomatoes leaving 1/4-inch shell. Invert onto paper-towel-lined plate to drain completely.
- Pour dressing over bean salad mixture; toss gently to coat. Store tomato shells and bean salad separately up to 4 hours before serving. When ready to serve, stir bean salad to coat with dressing. Divide bean salad mixture equally amoung tomato shells.
Note: Recipe can be doubled.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 140 calories; 3g protein; 26g carbohydrate; 3g fat; 445mg sodium; 3mg cholesterol; 5g fiber; 6mg iron; 0.1mg thiamin; 1880IU vitamin A; 42mg vitamin C.