Baby Beets & Greens Salad
Makes 6 servings.
- Drain beets; reserve 2 tablespoons liquid in small bowl. For dressing, whisk together beet liquid, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper, as desired, then whisk in oil.
- Divide greens among 6 salad plates. Top with beets and apricot strips. Place 1 or 2 goat cheese rounds on each salad, as desired. Pass dressing.
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Baby Whole Pickled Beets
- 2 tablespoons lemon, lime or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon, lime or orange zest
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package (about 10 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup dried apricot strips (1/4-inch wide)
- Nut-Crusted Goat Cheese Rounds (instructions below)
Nut-Crusted Goat Cheese Rounds
Cut 6 (1/4-inch thick) rounds from one 4 to 6 ounce goat cheese log. Coat rounds with finely chopped toasted nuts (almonds, pecans or pistachios). Double if desired.
Per serving with one goat cheese round (1/6 of recipe): 260 calories; 7 g protein; 18 g carbohydrate; 18 g fat; 260 mg sodium; 18 mg cholesterol; 3 g dietary fiber; 1 mg iron; 0.05 mg thiamin; 2054 IU vitamin A; 9 mg vitamin C.