Courtesy of Dinner, Dishes and Desserts
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie's Sliced Picked Beets
- 1 package (15.25 ounces) yellow or white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (3.4 ounces each) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Makes 16 servings.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray, or grease and flour the pan. Set aside.
- Drain beets; reserve liquid. Puree beets and 1/4 cup beet liquid in food processor or blender until smooth. Add enough water to remaining beet liquid to equal 1 cup.
- In large bowl, stir together cake mix and cocoa powder. Add beet puree, beet liquid, eggs and oil. Beat on low speed of electric mixer to combine. Beat 2 minutes on medium until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from heat; place on wire rack. Let cool 20 minutes.
- Using handle of wooden spoon, poke holes in the top of the cake about 1-inch apart.
- In large bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk until smooth. Pour over cake. Spread evenly making sure to spread into holes. Refrigerate cake at least 2 hours.
- For topping, in large bowl, beat heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding layer. Top with mini chocolate chips.
- Slice and serve. Store any leftovers, covered, in refrigerator.
Per serving (1/16 of recipe): 320 calories; 4g protein; 45g carbohydrate; 14g fat; 440mg sodium; 55mg cholesterol; 1g dietary fiber; 0.75mg iron; 487.21IU vitamin A; 0.13mg vitamin C.