- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie's Holland-Style Onions
- 1 jar (7.5 ounces) quartered marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped or sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse grind black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 whole grain round or square flat breads (about 6 to 7 inches diameter (See Note)
- Fresh basil (optional)
Makes 4 servings.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain onions. Pat dry. Discard liquid. Drain artichokes well. Discard liquid.
- Press onions with spatula to crush lightly. Pat dry again. Place in large bowl. Coarsely chop artichokes. Add to bowl with onions. Stir in bell pepper, parsley, olives, red pepper flakes, black pepper and 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In small bowl, stir together the olive oil, thyme and garlic. Brush over one side of flat breads. Place on baking sheet; bake 2 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Top each flat bread with onion mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Return to oven. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through, and flat bread is crisp.
- Cut each flat bread in half. Sprinkle with fresh basil, if desired.
Note: One larger flat bread approximately 10 x 7-1/2 inches can be substituted for the two smaller flat breads. Check package directions for baking temperature and times as brands may vary.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 210 calories; 6g protein; 32g carbohydrate; 9g fat; 600mg sodium; 2mg cholesterol; 7g fiber; 2.32mg iron; 0.04mg thiamin; 700.59IU vitamin A; 10.19mg vitamin C.