- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie's Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage, not drained
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium apple, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- Chopped apple (optional)
- Plain yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
Makes 4 servings.
- Cook bacon in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through and crisp. Remove bacon from skillet; reserve. Drain drippings; return 1 tablespoon drippings to pan; discard remaining drippings.
- Add onion to pan. Cook about 2 minutes, until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook and stir about 30 seconds. Add red cabbage and liquid from jar, broth and 1 cup chopped apple. Stir in cinnamon, allspice and cloves, if desired. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add water, 1/2 cup at a time, if soup is too thick. Add bacon to pan. Continue simmering, uncovered, about 5 minutes until apples are tender and soup is desired consistency.
- Spoon soup into serving bowls. Garnish with chopped apple, yogurt and crumbled bacon, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 170 calories; 3g protein; 27g carbohydrate; 6g fat; 500mg sodium; 10mg cholesterol; 1g dietary fiber; 0.42mg iron; 0.02mg thiamin; 21.32IU vitamin A; 6.62mg vitamin C.