Beet & Goat Cheese Crostini
- 1 jar (16 oz.) Aunt Nellie's Sliced Pickled Beets
- 1/2 cup yellow, red or combination cherry tomatoes, cut into small dice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 8 oz. fresh goat cheese, plain or with pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 24 oven-baked Italian-style bread rounds
Makes 24 servings.
- Drain beets well; cut into 1/4-inch dice. Measure 1-1/2 cups diced beets. (Reserve remaining for use in salads.) In medium bowl, combine beets, tomatoes, if desired, vinegar and basil. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes for flavors to blend.
- To serve, spread about 1 generous teaspoon of goat cheese on each toast and top with the beet mixture. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving (1/24 of recipe): 55 calories; 3g protein; 6g carbohydrate; 2g fat; 110mg sodium; 4mg cholesterol; less than 1g fiber; 0.46mg iron; 0.04mg thiamin; 120IU vitamin A; 0.08mg vitamin C.